Recently, I have heard from so many professing Christians that as long as someone says they love God, or believe God that we aren’t to judge their salvation or relationship with God.
This made me do some thinking.
First of all we live in an intolerant world that screams of tolerance. What are they intolerant against? Christians that are judgy-wudgy? Well, they’re out there screaming hate at the “evil-doers” and that, in and of itself, is evil.
Jesus says something very interesting and I want to talk about that:
- 35 Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth.
Here, we see clearly that people who are not in the light of Jesus Christ walking in His ways are walking in darkness they don’t understand what they are doing. All they know is it sounds right. It seems right to them. And so when someone walks up and acts like they should know better you’re a weirdo and a jerk. Because they don’t know what they are doing against God. And by the way, it’s not up to us to go screaming damnation at them but have the attitude Jesus had here in this chapter:
- 44 Jesus cried and said, He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me.
- 45 And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me.
- 46 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
- 47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
- 48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
- 49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
- 50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.
Jesus’ heart was not screaming condemnation, but His Words was what judged the people of their sins. The same Words we have today.
God commands men to life everlasting. This isn’t a “come if you want to and if you don’t I still love you and will let you in Heaven…” this is a serious: “If you choose not to, you will be judged by the Word of God and I am only the messenger who loves you and am looking out for your well-being.” This was while he walked upon earth. Now that he has defeated death, Jesus will judge the hearts at the end of time when everyone stands before him.
This was Jesus’ heart while he walked upon the earth: He wasn’t screaming hatred and acting like a jerk to people who were going to Hell but rather said “Hey people, it’s not me judging you, but the Words of God that judge you and I am the Light bearer to shine on your sin of darkness telling you destruction is coming! You have to get right with God.”
I can only imagine what Jesus would be treated like in America today if he walked among us. The hypocritical evangelical far rights would be criticizing him for not screaming louder or not being meaner. The lost world would be screaming tolerance, and those of us who love Jesus would be convicted about how meek and lowly Jesus presented himself to the lost.
But what I would love you to focus on is the fact that we need, must and should understand that what judges all of us are the Words of God and if we are ignorant to them we will naturally in our own flesh fall astray from those Word’s guidance even as a Christian.
In fact, when we scream and act like heathens to the heathen for being heathen how are we much better than they?
And preaching at the top of our lungs hatred and scripture when these people simply don’t even understand where you are coming from what good are you doing?
Then, should Christians stop trying to tell people how to be saved? Should we simply shrug and let them find their own way to God? Should we keep our religion to ourselves and let the world go by? Will this result into: if any person is sincere they will come to find their own way of salvation?
Let’s take a look at the Word, that judges every man, and see:
The Word of God is the judge of all things, and all men:
- Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
- James 2:12 “So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.”
- Romans 2:12-16 “For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;) In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.”
The Danger of Man’s Way:
It doesn’t matter what man, the church, pastors, hypocrites, or even what I say! The weight of all judgments come straight out of the Word of God.
“What if they aren’t even religious!? Does that mean they are judged by God too!?”
Some will tell you as long as they choose not to follow God then God is not the Lord of their lives. His laws then become an exception to their lives meaning that they aren’t going to be judged by God because they never chose him to begin with.
Once again let’s look at what God’s Word says about all men being judged no matter what:
- “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.” 2 Corinthians 5:10.
- And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (Revelations 20:11-15)
The Bible tells us how we can be written in the book. When we disregard or become ignorant of the Bible’s teachings (especially the New Testament since Jesus came and fulfilled a lot of Old Testament laws), we become destroyed in our own corrupted intellect of what we think is acceptable in behaviors and lifestyles. This statement alone comes from the Bible also:
- “Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts.” (Proverbs 21:2)
- “All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the Lord weigheth the spirits.” (Proverbs 16:2)
- “There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.” Proverbs 16:25
- Oh Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself it is not in man that walked to direct his steps.” (Jeremiah 10:23)
Every heart is deceitful:
- “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
- I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.” (Jeremiah 17:9-10)
Salvation only has 1 way.
Not many paths, not many ways, not many doors, gates, or opinions or lifestyles. We must all come to Jesus His way according to the Bible:
There is no other way:
- “Neither is there salvation in any other for there is none other name given among men whereby we MUST be saved.” (Acts 4:12)
- “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh unto the Father but by me.” (John 14:6)
- 10 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
- “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. 2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. (John 10:1-2)
- “Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.” (John 10:7-9)
- “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.(John 3:16-19)
What is the way of salvation?
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
This is different than just believing ‘in‘ the existence of God. The devils believe and tremble. “Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. (James 2:19)
- “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.” (Acts 16:31)
Yet the devils will not go to Heaven. It’s not simply a shallow belief in God that helps you to go to Heaven because the Bible lists other important things in order to be saved.
Have Faith In The Gospel of Jesus:
We cannot be saved without faith.
- “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works lest any man should boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9)
- “For we are justified by faith without the deeds of the law.” “Therefore, being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Romans 5:1)
What is faith? Reliance upon God in complete agreement and trusting him to be right with all your heart.
- “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” (Romans 10:9-10)
Repent of sin:
Repent means a change of your mind about your own way and condition realizing you are sinning before God and being sorry for your actions and behaviour. It is a state of contrition. Conversion from sin unto God for deliverance. (Webster’s Dictionary)
Here is where people get stuck. They think they can keep their wickedness and have God’s forgiveness at the same time but it does not work that way. Here is what God says:
- “And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead. (Acts 17:30-31)
- From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. (Matthew 4:17)
- He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy. (Proverbs 28:13)
- I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance. (Luke 15:7)
- Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. (Acts 3:19)
- But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; (Romans 2:5)
- And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. (Luke 13:2-5)
There are more verses about repenting, being sorrowful, and penitent than any other verse about salvation in the Bible because Jesus knew that people would never give up their darkness to come to the Light of truth.
If people still live in sin and claim salvation God said they are not his children at all:
- “And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.” (I John 2:3-5)
- “And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.” (I John 3:3-9)
Here it explains we cannot live in known sin with God. Because His Spirit lives within us and brings us to confess daily when we make mistakes we will not live in sin continually.
So back to the question why is it up to Christians to judge?
Jesus tells us that we are now the light in the world when he went away and that we are to tell people how to be saved. It is commanded to us to “Go into all the world and preach the gospel.”
Sin is already defined in God’s Word so when a Christian witnesses it should be out of the love of their heart but also it is a very pressing thing. It is a very personal thing, but God gave his command to us. We are to warn, and caution and help, and love. Because God told us to. We aren’t judging you, you already are judged by God’s Word we are only trying to help you escape the damnation of Hell.
Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you. Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:11-16)
The Biggest Scare Ever:
Is not Christians being mean or hateful although that can be a big deal, the biggest scare is now you know the truth, and this could happen to anyone: Let’s do our part to warn others in love:
Words of Jesus: Matthew 7:
- 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
- 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
- 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
- 24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
- 25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
- 26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
- 27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
- 28 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine: